If you are feeling overwhelmed on the Trim Healthy Mama plan, you are not alone. It can be tough to get started on Trim Healthy Mama and stay on plan but you can do it.
Trim Healthy Mama is very manageable once you get a few things under your belt. However, it can seem impossible if you pile too many things onto your THM plate. Learning to manage the plan and making it work for your lifestyle is definitely possible.
Try the tips below to help gain control of your new healthy life.
Join the Protecting Your THM Pennies Facebook group to save money on On Plan items.
(Affiliate Links are used in this post. A small commission may be paid to me at no extra cost to you and that helps to support this page. Please see my disclosures page for additional information.)
Overwhelmed on Trim Healthy Mama
Feeling overwhelmed on Trim Healthy Mama is totally normal and I bet most mama’s have felt that way at least a few times on our journey. But you can overcome the feelings that you are having and make it easier staying on plan with just a few simple tips.
1. Understand the Basics of the Plan
There are a lot of resources on the internet that will give you a quick overview of the basics. I even wrote a quick overview of what the meal abbreviations (S, E, FP) mean and how to build your plate here.
I still recommend reading the THM plan book because it is really the best way to fully understand the plan. And one sure way to feel overwhelmed on Trim Healthy Mama is not understanding which foods go with which fuel type.
2. Make a Meal Plan & Have Fall Backs
You can read all about how I meal plan here. It includes important tools & even an app that make meal plans much easier!
A loose meal plan is what I like. That means 7 breakfast ideas, 7 lunches and 7 dinners. Then I make what sounds good from that list on any given day during the week. Having a plan eliminates that “OMG it is 6 p.m. and I have not one clue what to make” problem.
In addition to a meal plan, I like to keep several fall back options in my pantry. Because sometimes that complicated recipe that you planned on Sunday for a Thursday night doesn’t mesh with the stressful day that you had at work. And standing in the kitchen for an hour sounds horrible.
So keeping some easy meals that you pretty much always have the ingredients for is a great way to plan for those hard and busy days that pop up from time to time. Here are some of our favorite last minute, super quick THM meals:
- Black Bean Tacos
- Pantry White Bean Chicken Chili
- Tortilla Pizzas
- BBQ Kielbasa with Cauli Rice
- Breakfast For Dinner
- Fried Cabbage & Smoked Sausage
- Salad & Rotisserie Chicken (5 lunch ideas with a Rotisserie chicken here)
- Tacos or Spaghetti – See the Meal prep/Food Prep section below for notes on this.
- 7 day FREE No cook THM menu
3. Stop Trying Everything (oolong, collagen, baked goods)
It is tempting to start a new program and jump in at 110%. I did this once and quit after just a couple of weeks.
Why did I quit? It was too hard. I was working, had one young child at the time, and had just moved several states away. It was a busy and chaotic time in my life and I added to it by deciding to start THM.
Now, I’m not discouraging you from starting just because you are in a busy season. It is totally doable but start simply. If you are feeling overwhelmed on THM, don’t add to your stress by trying every new ingredient and recipe that you see.
Eat simple meals and add in the new items or recipes as you have time. And don’t make a bunch of complicated desserts if you are at a breaking point. Don’t worry – I’m not asking you to skip the on plan treats. Just try super simple recipes like this easy mango bai sorbet or just a couple of squares of a Lily’s Chocolate bar.
4. Meal Prep or Food Prep
Meal prep is not something that traditionally appeals to me. I don’t like eating the same thing multiple days in a row and to be honest I really just don’t want to commit every Sunday to meal prep time. But if you like this technique, go for it! It will surely make the rest of the week easy peasy.
But food prep is a different story. I love food prep! Wondering what food prep is? It is simply pre-preparing items so that they are ready to go at a moments notice at a later date.
Here are some things that I like to food prep:
- Ground Beef/Turkey: As soon as I get it home from the store, I brown the meat and package it in portions that will feed my family. Then I place those zip bags in the freezer. When we want tacos or nachos or spaghetti, I don’t have to brown them meat. I simply warm it, add seasoning & serve up a quick dinner. You can always preseason the meat which I do sometimes when I make the Best Taco Meat Ever for the freezer.
- Prepare Fruits and Veggies: Wash and chop any fresh fruits and veggies that you have for the week. You are so much more likely to eat a celery stalk if it is already washed and cut.
- Boil Eggs: Having boiled eggs on hand is such a lifesaver. Eat them for a quick breakfast, turn them into deviled eggs, chop them up for a Chef’s Salad or throw some in this E Tuna Salad.
- Baked Oatmeal: This is probably the one meal prep item that I really like. Make a big batch of pumpkin spice baked oatmeal in the fall or Georgia peach baked oatmeal in the summer for a quick breakfast that will reheat great all week.
5. Eat Fast Food (On Plan)
If you are just completely overwhelmed on Trim Healthy Mama and need a break, give yourself some grace and grab dinner. A break from cooking can be an occasional way to give you the boost you need to stay on plan.
You can pick up a fast food meal (Free THM Guide here) or go out to a nice dinner and still stay on plan. And sometimes that is just what a tired mama needs.
5 Things I Don’t Do on THM
In general, I’m not a rule breaker. If I am following a plan, I go 100% all in and don’t stray. And that perfectionist mentality is exactly why I failed on THM in 2017.
Every meal I made took 10 ingredients and required a cookbook and a blender. I was making unfamiliar foods, some were good and some were flops. It was frustrating, time consuming and ultimately I quit because I needed easy after a day of work and caring for a family.
So I put together this list of 5 things I don’t do on THM to help others that might have the same tendency that I do to become a Trim Healthy expert in 2 days vs. starting at a reasonable pace. You will still lose weight without being the newest THM superstar- promise!
More THM Quick Start Guides
- On Plan THM Store Bought Bread
- On Plan THM Store Bought Tortillas & Wraps
- THM On Plan Jam/Jelly
- What to Eat at a Fast Food Restaurant on THM
- THM Food Analyzer App – What fuel is it? Find out instantly.